Monday, April 12, 2010

Maisy

All of my kids love to hear stories about themselves when they were babies. One of their favorite questions is, "What was my first word?" Generally, and I'm not sure what this says about me as a parent, it's the word no. But then, after that they want to know what other word they have said. And I can't remember. I haven't written it down anywhere and my memory is terrible....so, this vital piece of info for my oldest five kids has been lost forever.

All except Brielle. Her first word was No, just like the others. But her first FULL word (you know, with more than just one syllabul) is....(drum roll, please!!) MAISY.

I"m proud of myself that I've recorded this so in a few years when Brielle asks me these questions about herself when she was a baby I will be able to answer. However, to explain the word Maisy might not make me feel so proud.

Maisy is a cartoon mouse. She comes on everyday on channel 16 and Brielle loves her. Honestly, her mouth droops open and she will sometimes still drool as she's watching this show. And the show is cute. That's not the issue. The issues is this: MY DAUGHTER'S FIRST REAL WORD IS ABOUT A CARTOON!!!! Does anyone else see a problem with that?

Way too much TV time, I think. I have vowed, starting in two weeks (end of the semester) that we will spend a lot more time at the park, and much less time inside the house learning about Maisy. We will smell the outdoors more and eat popcorn and chocolate less. We will become a happy, functional, active family with more to talk abut than just Maisy. And maybe her next few words can be about something besides cartoons :)

No comments:

Post a Comment